A Ritual and Prayer for the Birthday of a Deceased Loved One

This prayer came to me at 3:30 in the morning a week or so ago…. along with the date March 7th. I got up and wrote it down. I think it is meant for the birthday of a loved one who has passed, but would also fit for the anniversary of their death. A simple ritual is to have a meal in their honor. Drink and eat what they loved when they were alive.

Light a candle.

Enjoy.

Cry.

Remember.

Feel love.

Pray.

Today I celebrate the life you lived
and the blessing that you were to me
during your time on Earth.
I remember you.
I feel you.
I know you exist
in my heart and elsewhere.
I sip your favorite drink
and taste the food you loved,
the simple pleasures that are no longer yours,
exchanged for the joy
of being Home,
knowing Truth,
seeing all.
I love you.
Today,
in your honor,
I celebrate Life.

Candle photo from mbeechey on Imgfave
Prayers, , , Permalink

57 Responses to A Ritual and Prayer for the Birthday of a Deceased Loved One

1. heidi says:

thank you for the beautiful post…a touching,simple yet profound ritual.

2. Fran says:

Thank you for this wonderful prayer/ritual. March 7th is a day of great loss for my family. We spent the day together and read this prayer several times that day. Thank you for lifting us up!

3. Darlene Decker says:

Thank you for posting this prayer. I will use it to celebrate my husbands birthday on August 19, for he would of been 54. Family and friends will light a candle promptly at 3 pm thru-out Florida were we lived at the time of his passing and also in MA where we grew up. Followed by your prayer and releasing of 54 balloons as a tribute to Steve. Thanks again

• Lisa says:

I am glad that you found this useful, Darlene. That is a beautiful ritual that you have created. Blessings to you and your family.

4. Faride says:

Very meaningful and touching! The words are so appropriate. Thanks for sharing the significant prayer.

5. Tricia says:

Thank you for the perfect words of prayer for my loved one on the first passing of his birthday.

Best wish, keep pen to paper you have a gift.

• Lisa says:

Glad you found it when it was helpful. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. <3

• Cel Madria says:

Thank you for that wonderful prayer. I am a mother who lost a daughter and celebrating her today, July 14, 2014 and in the hands of our Lord last February 12, 2006. Keep writing a very inspiring prayer.

6. Gay Cerullo says:

I found your prayer today, it’s so lovely. I lost my mother in September, today would have been her100th Birthday. I miss her so much and saying your prayer helped me celebrate her life today. Thank you!

7. isabelle champion says:

I also found this poem today….tomorrow would have been my friend’s deceased son’s 28th birthday. This is his first birthday since his passing. I will share these beautiful words with her tonight. Thank-you for sharing them with us!

8. Jun Rosales says:

I was searching the net for a prayer for my deceased son. he died of cancer at the age of 12 last Feb. 09, 2011. It is his birthday on Feb. 16 and I found this prayer apt for the occasion. It is short but very meaningful and touching.
    Thank you so much for sharing this prayer. God bless

9. I found you poem today and it is what I needed. Today would have been my daughter’s 23rd birthday. Thank you for the words. God bless you.

10. Sharronda says:

Tonight, as I sat here at my computer searhing for suggestions on how my family and I can celebrate my deceased brother’s birthday, I came across your ritual/prayer first. What an awesome way to celebrate his 27th birthday, which is March 7. Blessings to you Lisa. This truly has touched my heart.

11. Rosie D. Petican says:

Thank you for this very fitting birthday wish & prayer that i will use for my niece who would have celebrated her 42nd year of life today. She passed away just 2 weeks ago in an untimely manner that the whole family & friends are still grieving up to now. It’s still so painful to bear but we will celebrate it with a sort of a family party & gatherings and this prayer will at least sooth our aching heart. Thank you for this post. God Bless.

12. Jennifer says:

I love your prayer/poem. I lost my 19 year old son this past June and his 20th birthday is this Friday. Family and friends are gathering at the cemetery to release balloons to Heaven for my Brady. I am struggling this week with his birthday approaching and I read your prayer and think it is perfect. I plan to read it Friday before we release our balloons.

Thank You !

• Lisa says:

I am so sorry you are going through this, Jennifer. My thoughts are with you tomorrow. May Peace reveal itself a little more each day.

13. Alana says:

What a lovely birthday prayer. My Grandmother passed away on March 13, 2013 and today (June 6) is her birthday. We all miss her. This prayer is so appropriate and heart-warming. Thank you for sharing! I will share with my family and friends in celebration of my beloved Grandmother’s life while with us…thank you.

14. Jonah says:

A simple yet beautiful prayer, touching too. Lost my father 23 years go in a shooting accident, tomorrow would have been his 63rd birthday. We truly missed him. I would like to share this with my siblings. It’s a blessing I came across this prayer on the internet. Thanks a lot Lisa, more blessings to come way for you have touched a lot of hearts already. “,)

15. Paula says:

Thank you for this. I am going to share it on Facebook (I will mention your name/website). Today is my brother-in-law’s first birthday since his passing last year. This is a perfect prayer/poem.

16. Debbie says:

Thank you so much for your prayer. I was looking for suggestions on how to remember my son’s 1st birthday, August 12, since his passing last month, July 1st, 2013. He was 21 and died in a traffic accident. We are still trying to comprehend his passing and want to mark the day in a meaningful way. Your prayer brings me comfort and I think will be helpful for our family. Thank you.

17. Sonia says:

Lovely prayer,I have been very touch by this prayer,my husband just passed away about 6months ago and I was not sure how to celebrate his birthday this coming month, its been very hard to reach out to say words on whats happen to our family,I am missing him alot, and its been hard to express my feelings, thank you for this prayer

18. jim paxson says:

I lost my fiancee back in May. Thanks so much for the perfect poem to match my feelings.

• Lisa says:

I’m sorry to hear that, Jim. Thanks for stopping to comment. May Peace reveal itself and Joy be yours.

19. Evelyn says:

Thank you Lisa. I was searching too for something to do for mum who will be 100th two weeks later. Bless & thank you for the prayer, bringing me peace to do a simple gathering with my clan for mum. She has gone home to our Lord on 28 Jun 2013.

20. Krissy says:

Thank you Lisa for the poem it feels so right in many ways, 2 days ago was my big sister Alys birthday, she would have been 27. It’s the first since her sudden passing in January which still isn’t totally resolved so has been a hard week for the family (well, harder than usual). I will share this with mum and hopefully it will give her some comfort, as we still feel the sting and shock of the loss as if it were yesterday. Thankyou
    xx

21. Teresa Wagner says:

I love this! My daughters birthday is the 22nd of Nov, shes been gone nine years. I was wondering if I could use this in a memorial we always put im our local paper. I would give you credit of course. Thank you!

• Lisa says:

I’m sorry to hear about your daughter, Teresa. And of course you may use it. Thanks for asking.

• Teresa Wagner says:

Thank you so much! God bless! <3

• Teresa Wagner says:

I forgot to mention this is what we always do for Amandas birthday. We go to a mexican restaurant and my other daughter and I share the meal Amanda loved. This is perfect for us. Thanks again for sharing.

22. lindiwe says:

My partner and the father of my 2 year old passed tragically in a motor accident last year on the 19/10/12. Today he would have been celebrating his 43rd birthday. I would like to thank you Lisa for this awesome prayer, I feel blessed. I miss him so much :'(

23. Jojie Reyes says:

Thank you for this beautiful prayer. My mom passed away last year, and today is her birthday. Lucky I found your prayer,Lisa and I hope I can use it to honor her. God bless you.

24. Andi says:

thank you so much for putting these emotiosn to words… i am forever in your debt.

25. Nancy says:

Those words are perfect. April 5, 2014 will mark 100 years since my beloved dad was born. I’ve been looking for ways to honor him. I’m thinking about doing a pass-it-on type of thing, helping people, giving large tips, etc. and handing the person a small note saying they were helped in memory of a wonderful parent, asking them to help others in honor those those they love.

26. Sherry D Brice says:

Thank you for sharing this. It is just what I was looking for. My Grandmama passed away on April 3, 2013, murdered at the hands of her own Son. She would have turned 80 years young on February 6, 2014. My Aunt and I are putting together a small, intimate graveside balloon release and family luncheon in her honor and your poem is perfect for this gathering.

27. rhonda says:

Thanks so much for all the great advice. It’s my sisters birthday today and I wanted to do something special and I thought maybe I was weird for wanted to celebrate/honor her birthday. She passed away 6 months ago from cancer at age 47 and we are all still grieving tremendously

28. John T says:

Hey Lisa, great prayer.
    It is similar to one that I wrote a few years ago when I lost my dad and after reading yours, I was moved by some of your words and went back and “tweaked” a few words from mine (and maybe “borrowed” a couple of words from yours) to come up with a new prayer for my dad.
    ———————————————————————————–
    To my dad on his birthday…
    Happy Birthday Dad! Today we celebrate you and the life you lived.
    As we recall the stories and memories of you with our family and friends,
    The blessings and wisdom you bestowed, during your time here with us.
    We will enjoy some laughter, endure some sorrow, and share some prayers.
    We know that you are still with us and you will forever live on in our hearts.
    We love you, we miss you, we honor you, and we will always remember you.
    Some of the simple pleasures in life that are no longer yours,
    Things that you wholeheartedly exchanged for the Joy of returning Home,
    To be with the Lord, know His Truth, and feel His Peace and Everlasting Love.

Today, we celebrate you Dad, and wish you a Happy Birthday.

Your always loving son,
    John-John
    —————————————————————————————

29. Joe Cruz says:

Thank you so much, today is my brothers birthday and wanted to do something special its been 4 yrs. since he pass in September 2010. been having mass said for him every year and even on his anniversary, He was 61.,
    again I thank you so much for this. God Bless

30. Mark Rybak says:

My son Mark died unexpectedly on July 28, 2014. He was 29 years old. His 30th birthday is coming up on October 10, 2014. Your poem/prayer touched my heart. I’m not sure how I’m going to use it but I will. Thank you for sharing it!